Thursday, November 19, 2009

Surprises In The Mail For Granny & Me!

Yesterday I took Granny some beautiful gifts from Beth C. in Birmingham Alabama.

She sent Granny a sweet letter telling Granny that she was her hero.

She also had a prayer request for Granny to pray for. I think this meant more to Granny than the gifts and she loved them but she takes praying for someone serious. I can promise you if you want Granny to pray for something, she will!

Beth C. cut Granny 230 Green fabric squares and 230 muslin fabric squares plus some extra.

She also included thread and a sheet for the backing.

She had everything ready for Granny to make a quilt!

Granny is so amazed at what people are doing for her.

We have a great family and they do for her all the time and she has a great church family but this just amazes her that people she will never know think enough of her to send her gifts and cards. Thank you Beth C. for blessing Granny.

This gift is from my good friend Sherry!
She made this just for me.
Our friendship started with an Annie Doll Swap.
I had never made one but I had so much fun making it.
Since then we are the best of friends and I would not take anything for our friendship.
Thank you Sherry.

This is where I found Granny yesterday.

She looked up and saw me but hadn't quite reached her goal of 20 squares on that first strip so she told me that she had to finish before we talked. I told her that I love to watch her sew. This will be the next quilt for sale. I went on Wednesday morning to see her and this was her second quilt this week. She just amazes me. The last quilt she made I sold it just from pictures like this before it was made. You will see it below & on my sidebar.

UPDATE: This quilt is sold before it is even finished to Linda
(another sweet blogging friend). I am so blessed!

She has already purchased & received 2 quilts and is buying this one and another.

Thank you for blessing Granny, Linda!

It amazes Granny that you all are buying her quilts. She says for years she only sold them at Christmas and there was always a stack in the quilt room and even then she didn't sell many. She told me yesterday when I took 4 and put up for some of you that it gives her HOPE and makes her want to get up and get started. I noticed when she got up she had a very hard time just walking a 2 or 3 feet to the sofa. It made me sad. I told her that she needs to get up and get her horse (as she calls the walker) and walk to the kitchen and back when she is sewing so she won't get so stiff.

These are the last quilt squares that I cut for her and she sold this quilt to Heidi (a new friend)
before it was ever finished. The sheet that she used on the back of this was sent to her by
Michelle. Michelle is another great friend of mine and I am blessed to call her my friend.

I was fixing to leave when my Uncle Joe and Aunt Carol came in. My aunt had some old pictures of Granny's school days. Granny actually stopped sewing to look at these pictures. Aunt Carols mom is also in these pictures. Granny recognized a few people. I loved watching her looking at these pictures.

I asked my Aunt Carol to point out which one was Granny. The girl standing above her is my Aunt's Mom. I didn't ask Aunt Carol the year this was. I wish I had. I will next time I see her though.

These are gifts to me sent by Maggie! I won her give away! She was celebrating 100 posts!
Congrats to Maggie. Please visit her blog. I received so many things including Gummy Lobsters, hot chocolate, maple syrup and much more.

This is some fabric that was included in my gift.

Don't you love it?

I love it all!

Thank you Maggie!

**************

I am so excited that Heidi is hosting a

FRIDAY NIGHT SEW IN!

Click on her name to join in on the fun!!

10 comments:

COUNTRY PICKINS said...

HI VAL, THAT GRANNY SURE IS A SWEETHEART. pUT ME DOWN FOR THAT QUILT SHE IS MAKING IN THE PICTURE. IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL. WILL EMAIL YOU LATER. THANKS. LINDA gypsyluv1010@gmail.com

Alice Grace said...

Great looking quilts Granny is making! And congratulations on your win!

Becca's Dirt said...

What beautiful quilts. Granny is something else now. You go girl. I have been thinking of starting a quilt. I've never quilted before.

Jocelyn said...

It is always so sweet to see Granny sewing and quilting. And it's wonderful that she is feeling so encouraged and motivated to make more quilts. I have thought about her when I think I should take a few minutes to sit down and sew. She is an amazing woman. You are truly blessed to have her in your life.

Michelle said...

What a blessing Granny is, and what blessings everyone is for loving her and sending her quilting supplies. God is smiling down on all involved.

Thank you for being such a big part of Granny's life. I know you make a big difference.
Michelle

Needled Mom said...

Granny remains such an inspiration to all of us.

Enjoy the sew in. Can't wait to see what you are working on.

Allie said...

Granny's my hero too - I think she is for a lot of us! Lovely gifts you all recieved and I love that house fabric! Yes Granny needs to set a timer and get up every so often to walk.

caknitter said...

I just love to see pictures from the past. I always wonder what reason brought every one together and how life was decades ago.
It's great to see Granny sewing up a storm, but you're right about moving around a bit as to not get sore. I stiffen up too if I sit for long periods of time while knitting.

Love Bears All Things said...

Valerie, my red and white quilt arrived today. I unfolded it and looked at it and refolded it and unfolded it and looked at it. Finally, I folded it over the back of the chair at my scrapbooking table. I think I'll put it on the foot of the bed in my red & green room guest room. I'll make a picture. I think it would make a cozy, cuddly cover up for a guest's nap. Perhaps my DIL will use it while they're here this week. As soon as I can, I'll get the little gift off for Granny. I'm going to make a label for my quilt. I want anyone who sees it to know who made it.
Thanks,
Mama Bear

Sherry said...

Wonderful gifts and I'm so glad you like the cross!! I LOVE that house fabric....it is just so cute! Granny is such a wonderful woman getting up and working so hard everyday...she is such an inspiration!

Sherry