Friday, February 19, 2010

Gifts Of Love From Daddy & Granny

This picture of my sister Brenda and our dad was took this past Thanksgiving.
Having our Dad in our lives means a lot to our whole family.
This past Christmas I gave daddy an old Singer Sewing machine that I had purchased on ebay because I noticed that he had got interested in making quilts and used Grannys machine some.
Daddy found a cabinet to put the sewing machine in and he says he loves it which makes me very happy.
Here is dad's first quilt! He brought it to Grannys house to show us. Isn't it great?
I am so proud of him. Granny is so proud of him. But I bet I know someone that is really proud. Daddy asked me to mail this quilt to my sister, Brenda. She lives out of town and I heard that she was thrilled today when she received it. I know Daddy was happy when he told me about her getting it.
Here is Daddys quilt laying on Granny's bed. I kidded my daddy and told him that Brenda was his favorite daughter because she was the one who got the first quilt. He just laughed and said she asked for one first. He said that my baby sister Karen asked next so guess what............ she gets the next one which I heard is almost done! Daddy is gonna be like Granny- a quilting machine!
Anyway, I am next after Karen to get a "Daddy Quilt" and you will not believe this but the top to my quilt is already finished.
To be honest, I am so proud that my sisters get theirs first! It makes me happy!
I walked in after looking at Brendas quilt on Grannys bed and found Granny sewing away.
Imagine that?

She looked up at me and said, "I didn't know you would be here this soon.
I just have one more side to put on and I will be through."
Of course I told her to keep sewing. We all know that is what she loves to do.
She will stop for a few minutes sometimes and say she needs to fellowship with us but it doesn't last long. Before you know it she is back at the machine.

When Granny got finished with this quilt, she looked at me and said, "This is your quilt Beth."
Oh how happy I was. She has told me for a while that she wanted to do something for me because I sell her quilts for her. The thing that she doesn't realize is I don't sell her quilts.......She sells her quilts! I am just the messenger and the shipper!!! Anyway, after I got to looking closely at this quilt she made just for me I noticed that each scrap in this quilt is part of all the quilts she has made lately. I thought that was amazing. I came home and put this quilt on my bed. I just love it! To me, a quilt is a gift of love!!

26 comments:

Michelle said...

That is just wonderful, Val. I clicked on the pictures to enlarge them, and it didn't work. Darn! Your quilt looks wonderful, and your daddy's quilt looks great too! You are just a quilting family now!
be blessed,
Michelle

Jocelyn said...

How sweet that Granny made a quilt for you. You have an amazing family.

Bobbi said...

how special that quilt will be to you forever!!! THANK YOU so much for my quilt. i LOVE LOVE it. tell your dad way to go!!! believe it or not, my dad crochets. my grandma taught him when he was young. he has made me baby afghans that i put away for my kids when the day comes they have their own babies. just in case he isnt with us anymore, i want them to both have a piece of my fathers history. bless you and your family! Love, Bobbi

Unknown said...

What a wonderful family!

lindsey said...

How amazing that you Dad is making quilts! You must be very proud of him. My Mum has an embroydered picture on her wall that my Dad did when he was young and in hospital. I have told her that I would like it when she is ready to give it. My dad died when I was in my early 20's. It is so precious to have things that our parents, gandparents have made. Your Granny is amazing too and you are too because you are such an inspiration to them!

Amelia said...

Oh Val, there is defintely love in that quilt that Granny made for you.

Amazing about your Dad and his new hobby of quilting...I know you are happy for him and proud too.

Anonymous said...

What a SPECIAL post this is about your very special daddy and granny.

My Colonial Home said...

I think this is so sweet of your daddy to be making quilts and I am sure it does please granny that he likes doiong what she so loves to do.
I'm so happy you got a quilt now too!
Hugs, Karen

Pat said...

TERRIFIC that your dad is doing this!!! How wonderful that Granny gave you that quilt, too.....very well-deserved, in my opinion!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Val for sharing the talents and love of your family. I remember my daddy made some stained glass pieces in his retirement years and I treasure them so - as you say they are works of heart!

Alice Grace said...

How great! I know Brenda will be so happy with Daddy's quilt, and you with Granny's! I have two of Granny's quilts and I am so happy with them because she did it with her own hands, and loved every minute of it!

Darla said...

How sweet is your entire family? Just precious...tell you mom to come by my blog, I posted her wonderful gift that I received...I told her on her blog but she hasn't made it by yet! Planting the Dahlia's she sent today!!

Kim said...

That is so cool that your dad is making quilts, and so special to have one from your granny, with a piece of all she has made.

Heidi said...

What a wonderful post. I love that your Dad is quilting too. And his first quilt is fantastic! Can't wait to see what he does for you.

I just wanna squeeze Granny!

Patty said...

What a nice and talented family you have.How wonderful that Granny has taken the scraps from recent quilts and given it to you. i love the quilt that granny made for me when I get to use it... got to fight both my husband and son for it. lol. You Father's first quilt is amazing too.

Allie said...

Wow, it sure runs in the family - you guys must have some strong quilting genes!!! Your Daddy's quilt is wonderful!
How sweet is that quilt from Granny for you - and full of memories from all her other quilts. She is so special, and so are you!

Susannah said...

What a wonderful post today. Reading about you Dad was very interesting. I know men love to quilt, too. His quilt was very nice. Good job, Dad.

How sweet of Granny to give you your own quilt that she lovingly made just for you.

Susannah

Latane Barton said...

What happy times at Granny's house. Your Dad showing off his first quilt which I think is amazing... and then you getting a quilt from Granny. Oh my, what blessing abound.

caknitter said...

Awe, that's so touching that Granny and your Daddy made a quilt for you; The colors look so happy, too.What a great talented family.

Glimpse of My World said...

What a precious grandmother! Makes me miss mine!! have a great day!

Carole Burant said...

Omigosh, Valerie, your dad did a fabulous job making his first quilt!! I just love it when men get interested in stuff like that. I now know a man that quilts and a man who does cross stitching:-)

Such a special quilt Granny made for you. Having used pieces from some of the quilts you've sold for her just seems to tie us all together:-) xoxo

Brenda said...

Our quilts are both amazing! When I called Daddy to thank him - he told me you kidded him about it - He loves every moment he spends with you working and helping Granny. I just happened to jump in there and speak first! That's what happens when you live out of town...you take every chance available for family! Your Granny quilt is the most special of all! I love you Sister! Love, Brenda P.S. Pray that my house sells - I'm so homesick for you all!

Kim said...

They are both beautiful quilts! I am so impressed that your dad is quilting too, that is so neat. Maybe one day when I retire I can learn how to make quilts too!

Shauna said...

How special is that! A quilt from your Granny and also one coming from your dad. My favorite quilts are the ones that my Grandma made for me. Irreplaceable just like special people in our lives. Enjoy every snuggle you have under your special quilts!

Midlife Mom said...

How special that your Daddy is making all of you your own quilts! Treasures to keep for sure!!!! I was so glad I was able to salvage a couple of my quilts out of the lake house flood. There is just something about a quilt that makes them so special, I don't know if it's the time you put in it or the personal color combinations or the personality but they are just precious!

Love Bears All Things said...

She is a special lady and you are so blessed to have them both in your life.
Mama Bear