Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Favorite Mennonite Home Part 3

This was my favorite house of all of them.
It is sitting in the woods and I just fell in love with it.

I stopped and asked them if they cared if I took pictures of their home
and their fields.  She didn't say anything but he told me he didn't mind
but I did notice that they turned their backs and went on with their work.
Before he turned away he told us to "Have a nice day"!

I was not as close to them as it looks.
I just have a good camera.

They seemed like a young couple and they were working very hard.

I LOVE this picture!

The rain had held off so I think they came back out to work while they could.

My Grands LOVED the goats! 
I loved seeing the people and they LOVED the goats!!!

They are so cute!

I was told that all of their gardens are constantly watered with rain water stored in a tank.
They also told me that all the gardens have plastic between the rows except the corn.


I LOVE this picture too!
Why did the chicken cross the road?

Is this not gorgeous? 
Can you see that little thing at the top over toward the left?
What is it?  We all think it was a hummingbird?
Do you know?

Guess what?  There is going to be a Part 4!!!!

TODAY I AM THANKFUL THAT........ This too shall pass!

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, 
shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7
********************
Lola, Thank you for your sweet comments. You are a no reply blogger so
I have no way to respond to you.  Send me your email address!
***********************
I have had many ask where this place is located so here is the info that I have.
Delano Community Farm Market
146 Needle Eye Lane
Delano, TN 37325
Open Mid April thru October
A Christian community of 18 families on 400 acres, growing a wide range of vegetables from Asparagus to Zucchini, picked and brought to our on-farm market daily.
The market also sells homemade breads, cookies, jams, jellies, honey, soaps, etc. Every September sorghum molasses are cooked the old fashioned way. All farming is done with horse-drawn equipment and lots of hand labor.
Directions: Traveling I-75, take Exit 49 (Athens); go East on Hwy 30 to Etowah; turn right on Hwy 411; go 7 miles and turn right on Delano Road. Follow the signs....

If you are just joining us and would like to read the first 2 parts click Here for Part 1 and Here for Part 2.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I so love the Amish country settings, also. You captured this lovely couple beautifully.
TTFN ~
Hugs,
Marydon

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Your trip looks a lot like our trip today!

Shauna said...

Am enjoying your posts and pictures on Mennonites. Looks very tranquil and earthy. Thanks for sharing with us.

Amelia said...

Certainly been enjoying your photos of the Mennonite adventure.

Makes you appreciate some of the things we use in our every day living.

Anonymous said...

Val, I'm enjoying these posts. I too have had interest in Amish and Mennonite beliefs and the people. I admire their way of life, even tho my life is contemporary and modern and not their way. They exhibit such faith and goodness and wholesomeness that our present society seems to have forgotten in ways. I would love to have a house in a woods. Sounds so peaceful.

Granny said...

Another great set of pictures. I love seeing the Amis and Mennonite farms and homes. The little goats would have been favorites of mine also. That looks like a big bumblebee to me.

Darla said...

I am loving this adventure...looks like a bumble bee on the sunflower when I clicked to enlarge.

Becky Garrison said...

Val, great pictures! That 2nd picture is wonderful! The way he is working away but she is looking up at you with a look of curiosity - just great!!!

And the 'varmint' on the pic is a bumble bee! I saved the pic to my computer and cropped it so I could get a close-up view.

So, how are 'things' going? Keep me posted! B.

Love Bears All Things said...

I enjoyed coming along with you on your trip. We've visited the village near Lawrenceburg, Tennessee and several in Pennsylvania and Ohio that were both Amish and Mennonite parishes. When we lived in Memphis, I used to go to a market near Brownsville. They had the best cheese.
We may all be going back to a simpler time someday. We had a little taste of that after April's Fury.
Mama Bear

Patty Sumner said...

Maybe my hubby and I can take a motorcycle ride to check this place out some day. You really took some great pics. Aaaahhhhh, the simple life....We allow life to get so complicated with stuff. Blessings and have a great day!

Dora, the Quilter said...

Oh, Val, I went through Delano a couple of weeks ago but knew nothing about the market (nor did my friend who lives in a town 20 miles away). I certainly would have stopped. I know the area is very green, but it's hard to believe that 18 families can survive on just 400 acres!

Unknown said...

I love your blog. I am Mennonite and live in a 130 year old farmhouse. I am in the process of restoring it. I recently created a website to chronicle my journey and restoration. Please check it out.

www.quiettimes.webs.com