Today I had to do some running around for my "sweet honey" but I also found the time to stop by the thrift store while in town. I have been decluttering my home so I had a small load to take and donate. While I was there I thought I would walk through just to see if there was anything I couldn't live without. I mainly saw a bunch of junk but you just never know. As I turned the corner, I saw it. I looked at it. I thought about it. I wanted it. Since I am trying to save money, anything I purchase needs to be pondered over so I don't regret it. I need to tell you a little bit about why I was so excited about this MIRROR that I had just found. A few months ago, my daughter and I went into a local store called Tuesday Morning. I am not a shopper, so this is very rare, but while I was there I found a small lighted magnifying mirror. I looked into it. I did not like what I saw. My face magnified was not a pretty thing but I could see things that could be fixed. This mirror was 8.99 which is a lot for me to spend on a tiny mirror only to look at my flaws everyday. I saw a larger one on a stand. It was very nice. It also had a light. I wanted it but it was 50.00 and there was no way that I was going to spend that kind of money to look at myself just to see all the wrinkles magnified. But I do have to admit, I wanted it. I guess I thought it might help me look better. Who knows? I purchased the small one and I have really enjoyed using it. Well today walking through the thrift store.....there it was! I couldn't believe it. It still had the original price tag of 50.00 on it, but the thrift store only wanted 5.99 for it! I bought it - brought it home - I did not even know if the light worked but it does. It is so nice. I sure hope it helps me look better. (Ha!)It is kind of scary when you look into it. But it is mine. I love it. Even my "sweet honey" loves it. The funny thing is that I was so proud because I was donating stuff that I didn't need in my house anymore and that is the reason I was there. I almost forgot to unload my things! But as I was walking to my car with mirror in hand, I realized what I was really there for! So I got rid of some things that I didn't need that maybe someone else might want and also got a mirror that I wanted so bad and never thought I would get because I could not or would not spend 50.00 on it. What a blessing!
Flylady progress today:
1. 30 minute spruce up for the weekend. I swish & swipe my bathrooms. Feather dust as the music is playing and Sweep & vacuum & do a quick pick up before the timer goes off.
2. 15 minutes decluttering: I took this time and used it to pack up all of my 2008 paperwork. We have already got our tax info. at the accountant so I didn't need this anymore. I made new files for 2009.
3. Laundry- Done
4. Ironing- Done
5. 5 minute Mission: Did final clean up on the entrance and porches to my home.
6. Water Drinking: I only drunk 5 glasses today but tomorrow is a new day.
7. Bible Reading & Prayer: Do you ever forget to pray? I do. It is not that I don't constantly think about how thankful I am but sometimes I get in a hurry and just say a prayer during the day but I am trying to purposely get down on my knees to worship HIM. I also finished the Book of Ruth. I sat down with my husband and asked him any questions I had and we discussed the story and what it meant. I am not telling you about my prayer & Bible life to brag that I am doing this. I am writing this down as a reminder to myself so that I may continue because this is my hearts desire. In the process of doing this for me, it might also serve as a reminder to someone else and that would truly be a blessing.
8. Walking- None
Recipe for Red Lobster Clam Chowder: (Our supper tonight)
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced leeks
1/2 cup diced leeks
1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons flour
1 quart milk
1 cup clams in juice
1 cup diced potatoes
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon dry thyme
1/2 cup heavy cream
In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery, leeks and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, mixing often. Remove from heat and add flour, mixing well.Add milk and whisk vigorously. Drain clams and add juice to soup. This soup is warm & wonderful.
Another favorite quote: "You are never behind, Jump in right where you are."