Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Granny's Swing

I always have to show one of Granny's quilts when I post about her.
This quilt is one that my Granny & my dad made together and gave it to my sweet hubby.
I don't think I have ever showed you this. It is a beautiful quilt and we love it.
I still go by Granny's house and just sit and ponder.
A few weeks ago my best friend Vicki came with me to Granny's house.

Then my dad dropped by. We all sat on Granny's porch and talked and if we didn't know better you would have thought Granny was right inside sewing away.

This is me & Vicki sitting on the swing talking about Granny.
My Dad told us some of his memories about Granny & Paw Paw.
I so enjoyed this day.

Fast Forward to today....

These are my sisters. Brenda (left) & Karen (right).
We all were together for my Uncles (my Moms brother) funeral.
My sisters live out of town and so I thought they might want to go to Granny's and enjoy sitting in the swing like I do. We asked my Dad to come but he didn't.

I haven't been able to talk to my sisters in a very long time like we did today.
My Mom went home to be with her sister after the funeral. I would love to hear Mom's thoughts during her brothers funeral. I know she was sad but she is a strong woman. I wonder if she had memories going through her mind. I hope she will post about it when she can. Her brother was married 62 years! Is that not something? Mom said that his wife was so faithful to care for him in his sickness. What a testimony.

Karen is the youngest of us girls. I watched her look around at Granny's house just like I do.
I wish I had asked them some of their memories of Granny.

Brenda is the middle child and I am the oldest.
I am sure that you can tell that!
I really enjoyed our special time today.

**************
SNIPPETS FROM MY HEART
One day a couple of weeks ago, I went to Granny's all by myself. I sat on the swing and moved to the rockers and just listened. I heard birds singing, bees buzzing, dogs barking, roosters crowing, and 3 trains go by. I heard a telephone ringing across the street. I also heard people talking across the street. I was just thinking that Granny must have heard these same sounds many times. Somehow this made me feel close to her. I watched as some people next door walked their horses around a pasture. I swept her porches off and got some cob webs down. I looked at things that we take for granted. I remembered coke in the little glass bottles in her refrigerator when I was little. The swing is also a very important part of my memories as a little girl. I went in and sat at her dining room table and cried a little bit. It was just my special time with Granny in spirit. I would not take anything for the memories. Granny's swing........I wonder if her swing could talk.....what would it tell us? I bet there would be a lot of good stories.

20 comments:

Glenda said...

Oh, Valerie, isn't it wonderful to have such sweet memories of those we've loved? I'm sure Granny would be so pleased to know that you all are still finding peace and comfort in her home. What a legacy to leave behind!

Anonymous said...

Valerie,

I've followed your blog for a while, I think this is the first time I have commented. What wonderful memories you have, being able to connect with your granny, it made me feel all warm and fuzzy. I can really tell that your life is surrounded by love. Thanks for sharing, so sorry for the loss of your uncle.
Blessings,
~Ronda~

Susannah said...

Oh...bless your heart, my child. Your memories of Granny and her house will be with you for the rest of your life. What a touching post this is, Val. My heart is right there with you.

Susannah

Firecracker Kid said...

Hi Valerie:) How wonderful for you all to get together at Grannys house. You betcha she was there with you all, and tinkled pink to have you all together on her front porch and swinging in her swing talking about the good ole days. Thank you for sharing this personal moment with us.
xoxo
Carol

Roma Berry said...

Sweet memories. Keep recording, I am trying to make up for the past three years. It breaks my heart to go to estate sales and see "untold memories" being sold for $.50. If the items in the estate sale could only talk. It's sad to see old photos being sold, no names, no next of kin. Does anyone care? Anyway, I like your walks down memory lane. Keep up the good works.
check out katherinebrantandso. blogspot.com

Bobbi said...

i would never leave that porch. you have such fantastic memories of granny and your life with her. im so glad your almost ready to sew....granny will be with you when you do too.

caknitter said...

This is such a touching post. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Michelle said...

You are so blessed to have those wonderful memories and still go to her house. What love you must feel.

Granny said...

This post is a great tribute to your granny. Maybe you could print it out and send it to your sisters and ask them to write down their thoughts and memories of Granny's place.

Love the quilt Granny and your Dad made. I hope your dad starts quilting again. I don't think I'll ever look at any quilt again without thinking of Granny sitting at her sewing machine.

Amelia said...

Too early in the morning for tears - but they appeared during reading your post this morning...such sweet memories of Granny. What is going to happen to Granny's house?

Sherry said...

Memeries are all ours and nobody can atke them away. After my father died there were lots of questions I wished I had asked but I know visit will people and I ask them if they know the answers and sometime the answers come fro the pepole you would never of thought of. So keep asking and you will find the answers. Even if the answer are form your HEART

Anonymous said...

What great memories you have!! You are so blessed! I love your pictures on the swing. I just felt peace as I read this post!

My Colonial Home said...

what a great post today Val....I know all of you girls have so many memories of granny - and some are so deep they probably will never be told...they're in the heart.

Thanks for sharing again today.

Karen

Love Bears All Things said...

My parents had a swing on their front porch..my niece and her husband bought their house so I can still go there and sit in the swing or walk in the yard and remember...We always had a swing when I was growing up. First in the yard and then on the porch..my parents only moved to this house when I was 12 but I remember swings on other porches...Front porch sittin...watching people go by and talking about 'stuff'. Sweet memories. Thanks for posting this.

Alice Grace said...

That swing is part of that house and all the memories over the years. From the time I first visited that house as I dated your Daddy, ( very very many years ago!)there has been a swing there. We sat in it many times over the years. Many memories, sweet all of them.

Patty said...

I'm glad you have so many sweet memories and you were able to spend time with your sisters. I hope your mom is doing better, I'm keeping her in my prayers during this time of loss.

Brenda said...

It was a sweet time together with you and Karen. I love you both so much. The whole weekend was bittersweet with thoughts of our Uncle Ray and his sweet family - as well as Granny's spirit that lives within each of our hearts. Mom and Dad are so strong. I love you all. Brenda

Needled Mom said...

I can imagine what a touching time you must have shared at Granny's. My cousin lives in my grandmother's house and it is so nice to go back and visit. There are so many wonderful memories wrapped up and saved there for all of us. It is almost as if they are still there, isn't it?

StitchinByTheLake said...

Val I'm so glad you have that swing to visit - it can give you so much comfort. I sometimes wish we had left all Mama and Daddy's stuff just as it was so I could go and see it. They lived with my sister so that just wasn't possible but I would have loved it. blessings, marlene

Sherry said...

Sisters are a wonderful thing. I have 3 and love them all. We often talk about our memories of our grandparents and how much they meant to us.

We are both blessed!
Sherry